13 February 2007

snow days



So today I am really wishing it could be a snow day. Stay inside, warm and all bundled up on the couch drinking hot chocolate and watching my favorite snow day movies. Princess Bride, The Gangs All Here, Amelie, Vibes, and so on. But alas I journeyed out into the snow to go to work. My overactive imagination can't help but wonder what would happen if we got snowed in at work. Trapped in the museum overnight, it wouldn't be all that bad in reality. But as much as I love the MCA I think I would much rather be trapped at the Field Museum (due largely to that Sesame Street movie where the whole gang is trapped in the Met in NY overnight and Big Bird befriends the ghost of a young ancient Egyptian prince, whom he naturally helps get to the afterlife.) On that note I think I will take a survey of everyone here and ask if they had to be snowed in somewhere overnight what would be their ideal location.

So the impromptu survey results are in: I picked the Field Museum. Others were somewhat more practical and said a shopping mall because it had lots of different stuff to do, eat, wear, and whatnot. One of my friends was tempted by several different options- the Lincoln Park Zoo, the Field Museum, the planetarium, a movie theater. Someone said a library if they could order take out and be in their pjs. One said the Art Institute. Several people said their friends' houses. What I found most interesting was the questions people asked before they answered. How many days were they trapped? Were they trapped alone, with friends or with a huge group of people? And how my question was intended to be fun, but people took it really seriously and thought about what kind of food and supplies a place had. Interesting how a sort of simple question could provoke such different answers.

No comments: