07 April 2007

New Old Pictures



I finally got some images from the Around the Coyote show from my parents. Here are images of some of my work that was in the show. The top one is called Looking for Robert, and yes the little orange dinosaur in the upper right hand corner is in fact part of the piece. It was interesting how many people seemed to gravitate towards this piece, but I am not yet ready to part with it so it was not for sale. I want to further explore the idea of little figures sitting on the upper edge of the canvas, I like the playful quality that it adds to the work. Before I added the little dinosaur I felt like the painting was missing something that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Then on a whim I added it and was really happy with the results. The title for this one came after I had finished it. I was looking at it with the dinosaur and it reminded me of the film for Robert Smithson's Spiral Jetty. The idea of layers and time and the combination of natural, geological, organic shapes/lines with those suggesting man made cities.

The other two were done at the same time and I really like them as a set, even though I didn't intend them to be a set as I often do when I am working. But there was something about the different blues and the gold and silver combination that just fit when the are displayed together. These now live at my friend Sadie's house.

No comments: